I love to use collage within mixed media pieces. Here are a few from my art journal:
However, the Tate Gallery, U.K. states that painting/drawing can be included in a collage so it would seem that there is somewhat of an overlap across mixed media – collage. Personally, I feel that once you have added other media such as ink/paint/pastel to collage then you have a mixed media piece.
- ‘The Witch Ankarut’ was painted in watercolour and ink around 1577 by unknown.
- ‘Chinese Lions’ was painted in the Momoyama style in ink and gold around 1580 -85.
- ‘The Kiss’ was painted by Gustav Klimt in oil and gold leaf around 1907.
- ‘Blue Poles’ was painted by Jackson Pollock in enamel, paint and glass in 1952
- ‘Camels’ was painted by Rivers in collage and oil in 1962.
Collage in the pastCollage itself has been around since the 12 Century. It is seen in the Cubist’s work and famously Matisse’s paper-cutting in his latter years.
Making of a Collage with Mixed Media Additions
Having stamped on my tissue paper first I then applied this as if it were any other collage paper. I resisted adding any other media elements to make this as pure a collage as possible.