My research indicated that few organic packages are very child friendly. In fact there were no organic biscuits for children in the shops I visited so I photographed regular biscuits and cereal packets for child friendly packaging. I resorted to researching ‘online’ and created a Pinterest board of appealing packaging. I noticed 3 ways that packaging was made appealing:
- turning the package itself into a character
- featuring smiling characters
- characters featured eating the product
To answer the ‘animal interacting with the biscuit’ part of the brief I ‘brainstormed’ a list of scenarios:
- Biscuit as a medal for some sporting event
- Biscuit as a reward for doing a trick
- Dinosaur juggling with biscuits
- Dinosaur doing circus tricks with biscuits
- Dinosaur dreaming about biscuit
- Dinosaur kneeling before anthropomorphic biscuit King
- Dinosaur playing sport with biscuit
- A dinosaur eating from a biscuit bush
- Dinosaur ‘scouts’ eating biscuits around a campfire
- Dinosaur evading others who want his biscuit
- Dinosaur making biscuits
- Dinosaur in role of mum/dad helping child cook biscuits
I liked the dinosaurs playing sport with biscuits idea and the dinosaurs helping child cook biscuits idea and decided to make thumbnails around these. Next I did some research and collected reference images of the selected dinosaurs and made a few sketches. When I was happy with these I traced them with the blob tool in illustrator to create linework.
I created the colour versions in Illustrator and made a mock up with a free mockup file for the t-rex version.
Personally I think the choc chip version works the best but the colouring answers the brief fairly well. The child is not drawn convincingly enough however and I’m not sure I like the black outlines on the dinosaurs.
Update Following FeedbackI have to say I agree with my tutor in that I didn’t fully engage with this exercise previously. As a result I have pretty much redone it from the sports centric thumbnails as these seemed more fun to me. I had chosen football, basketball and tennis for the three prehistoric animals. I started with rough sketches and produced colour visuals during rendering.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
I think the illustrations are more fun and engaging than the first attempt.