I started mindmapping out my ideas around summer and autumn and then added in ideas generated by a Google search for these seaasons. Next I created a mmodboard for each season by collecting images that made me think of the particular season.
Having generated some ideas I chose some salad veg for the Summer piece, as these have strong colours, and some apples, pears and grapes for the Autumn piece. I arranged these and painted them in acrylic from life on a 10″ sq support, which would allow for other elements within the 12″ final. I used a daylight bulb to give overhead lighting. Then I started making thumbnails of the final composition.
Having scanned the two still lifes at a high resolution (800 dpi) I opened them in Photoshop and selected them from the background. I decided to use two similar compositions that had pattern as a border to the image. This pattern gave me the opportunity to tie in other elements of the seasons. So I drew some icons, scanned them in to Illustrator and coloured and created a pattern. I exported each pattern border and used it in a Photoshop file which was 12″ x 12″, where I positioned all the elements.